If you have a carpet or rug at home, you should get it professionally cleaned at least once a year. Having your Carpet professionally cleaned removes all the dirt, dust, contaminants, or allergens that regular vacuum cleaners cannot remove. Even in professional carpet cleaning, there are many methods to clean the carpets. Each of these methods has its pros and cons. Knowing the advantages and disadvantages of different carpet cleaning techniques will help you understand which cleaning method will be best for your home.
Most often, wet and dry cleaning methods are used.
Hot water extraction
This method is referred to as the steam cleaning method. In this method, the company or professional will first apply a chemical on the Carpet to loosen the soil and oil-based contaminants sticking to the carpet fibres. Boiling water is then injected into the Carpet under high pressure. After 10 to 15 minutes, the water is removed by a vacuum cleaner.
- Removes embedded dirt, soil, and debris.
- Allows the cleaning agent to stay long to help loosen the embedded soil.
- Enable the cleaning company to use water at high temperatures and pressure.
- The most common method of carpet cleaning by professional services.
- Carpet takes a long to dry
- The right equipment is needed
Generally used for routine carpet maintenance. The Carpet is vacuum cleaned. Following this, a cleaning solution is spread on the mat. The chemical loosens the soil and dirt. A rotary floor machine removes the dirt and mud with an absorbent pad. The pad picks up the dirt and oil
- Inexpensive, quick and easy.
- Great for lightly soiled carpets.
- Clean superficially and does not penetrate the layers
- Chemical tends to accumulate in the Carpet
Dry cleaning using absorbent chemicals
A powder is spread over the Carpet, which contains cleaning agents and solvents. A machine with a brush brushes the cleaning agent to ensure penetration. The powder stays for 10-15 minutes and then is removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- Quick and simple
- Carpet dries very quickly
The powder needs to be removed entirely or may get trapped within the fibres.
- Causes dust buildup
- It cannot penetrate deep
Shampoo or dry foam cleaning
The cleaning agent is spread on the Carpet. A machine fluffs the cleaning agent into form. Foam works its way into the fibres. The foam stays for some time and then is removed using a vacuum cleaner.
- Quick, easy, inexpensive
- Carpet dries quickly
- It cannot penetrate deeper layers
- If the machine malfunctions, the Carpet will be excessively wet.
- High-temperature cleaning is not possible.
If you want to get a professional cleaning done, go for steam cleaning the Carpet. Depending on where you stay, there are carpet cleaning services available in almost every city. You can opt for Carpet cleaning Harpenden or Carpet cleaning Tring if you live in Tring or Harpenden, UK. Always make sure to get your Carpet clean professionally at least once a year.